A walk in Treptow
Treptow is situated in the south-eastern suburb of Berlin and half of its territory is occupied by the Treptower Park. It borders with the localities of Plänterwald, Neukölln, Friedrichshain, and Kreuzberg. Bordered in north by the Spree river it counts in its territory an islet named “Insel der Jugend” (Youth Island).
The locality, first inhabited in 6th century by Slavic peoples, was first mentioned in 1568 with the name of Trebow. It merged into Berlin with the Greater Berlin Act in 1920. From 1961 to 1989 its north and western borders were crossed by the Berlin Wall. From January 1, 2001, the former borough of Treptow, composed also by Plänterwald, Baumschulenweg, Niederschöneweide, Johannisthal, Adlershof, Altglienicke, and Bohnsdorf; was disestablished to merge into the new Treptow-Köpenick borough.